Who should apply?
While this is a journalism Fellowship, you do not have to be in a journalism program to apply. We’re looking for students who are passionate about reporting and the role that technology can play in the pursuit of this craft. To qualify you must be a US student or a student studying in the US with a relevant visa. Students from all majors and degree programs who possess the following qualities are encouraged to apply:
- Demonstrated or stated commitment to journalism – especially in the fields of data driven journalism or freedom of expression online
- An interest in exploring and creating business models to help the industry in the digital age
- Excellent academic record, professional/extracurricular/volunteer activities, subject matter expertise
- First-rate analytical, communications, research, and writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently, and to work smartly and resourcefully in a fast-paced environment
Fellows will receive a stipend of $8,500 USD for 10 weeks during the summer of 2015 (June-August) and a travel budget of $1,000 USD.
The Fellowship will start on June 8 2015 with time at Google in Mountain View, California on the first week of the program. Fellows will join their host organization on June 15 2015 and finish on August 14 2015.